Do you have a knitter on your gift-list this year? Or maybe you’d like to do a little shopping for yourself? Here are some of the books I recommend–some are old, some are new, but all are wonderful additions to any library.
- Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. (Review here.)
- Stitch and Bitch by Debbie Stoller. (Review here.)
- Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Or, well, really any of her books.
- Vogue Knitting by the people at Vogue Knitting Magazine. (Review here.)
- Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman. (Review here.)
- Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd. (Review here.) Also her Handy Book of Patterns.
- Design It, Knit It by Debbie Bliss (Review here.)
- Knitting in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. (Review here.)
- Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting Design by Sharon Turner. (Review here.)
- Knitting from the Top by Barbara G. Walker
- Book of Fair Isle Knitting by Alice Starmore. (Review here.)
- Cables Volume 1: The Basics by Janet Szabo. (Review here.)
- The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook by Lynne Vogel. (Review here.)
- Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman. (Review here.)
- Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller.
- New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One and Personal Footprints for Insouciant Sock Knitters: Book Two by Cat Bordhi
Some Great Patterns
- Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. (Review here.)
- Mason Dixon Knitting (and Mason Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines) by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne. (Reviews here and here.)
- Knitted Gifts by Ann Budd. (Review here.)
- A Fine Fleece by Lisa Lloyd. (Review here.)
- Inspired Knits by Michele Rose Orme. (Review here.)
- Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn by Carol J. Sulcoski. (Review here.)
- Simple Style by Ann Budd. (Review here.)
- Mother-Daughter Knits by Sally Melville & Caddy Melville Ledbetter (Review here.)
Mind you, there are LOTS of other great books out there, but these are some of my favorites.